Friday 14 January 2011

New year scarf

I wanted to make a black and white striped scarf. Why? I am not entirely sure. There is something very classic and appealing about the football-y look of a stripey scarf. Makes me nostalgic for my brother's Roy of the Rovers comics. Didn't Hotshot Hamish's team play in black and white?


But the thought of endless rows of double or treble crochet filled me with boredom. How to make clean stripes with enough for me to stay interested? I needed to learn a new stitch.


So I went to my magical compendium of stitches: this old kitting and crochet magazine, another fantastic aunt Sue find of course.


Palm leaves was just right: it would still hold the stripe, but with a bit of syncopation in the rhythm to keep it fun. It worked up very quickly and soon I was flying through the rows.



In a few evenings and a motorway trip or two over the holidays, it was done.


I was going to add some bright colourful tassels, but when it was done it felt, well, done.

To complete the look all this needs is a wooden rattle and a cup of steaming Bovril. I think Roy would approve, as he effortlessly chips the ball in a smooth arc into the back of the away team's net.



8 comments:

  1. I love your stunning scarf :0)
    Great idea to use a new stitch ,your book looks great . Is it chunky yarn ?
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. and i love your black & white post too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jacquie (and Fran), yes it is a chunky yarn. Both came from my stash and the off-white did not have a tab unfortunately. The black was an aran weight wool/acrylic blend called 'Wendy' Looks pretty old.
    Miriam
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. where is the fabric underneath the scarf from?
    polly xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a Japanese tenugui - sort of a cross between a tea towel and a flannel - the label says Kontex www.kontex.jp.
    m
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've inherited that book from my Mum - love it! Very fond of the 'false fur' section (loopy wool) and how it is described.

    Lovely blog
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roy of the Rovers? It's most definitely Newcastle United - and I totally approve!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. News just in: Hotshot Hamish's team played in blue and white, thanks Ben! So the toon army can claim this colour combination.

    ReplyDelete

a year above the shop

a year above the shop